Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Big Orange

A favorite summer treat for me.

When I was a girl and we would travel to California to visit my Nana and Uncle Whitie, there were "big orange" shaped, juice stands, every so often, along the highway. With temperatures in the triple digits, and no air-conditioning in the car, they were a welcome sight to hot, sweaty, travelers. The tall glasses full of yummy, fresh squeezed orange juice, (with it's natural pulp,) and crushed ice melting on our tongues, were so refreshing. It made my sisters and me forget all about the backs of our legs sticking to the hot vinyl upholstery. I was saddened to find out that with the fast moving freeways, the big orange stands are a relic of the past. More's the pity.

1 comment:

kate said...

I love nostalgic stories... feels like I was there, I can imagine the feel of the hot air and the refreshing o.j... I love it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails