Monday, January 18, 2010

In the Early Morning Rain

It has been a typical rainy Northwest January. Some people are bothered by it, and can't wait for the warm weather. Personally, I love the rain. I love the coolness in the air, and the misty fog that drapes between the hills in our little valley like a gauzy tent.
Bella and I take our walks in the rain, amid the oak leaves and puff balls scattered on the mossy knoll. She is intrigued by a raccoon or some other wild animal that has made a place for itself in a gnarly wild hazelnut tree. Every sound and smell captures her attention. She's in no hurry. She doesn't mind the rain either.

We return to the house and set to making a winter breakfast;

like Sour Cream Apple Pancakes with pure maple syrup:


I close my eyes and pretend I'm at the Original House of Pancakes in Portland, on Barbur.
I love that place! The knotty pine and little lamps remind me of our kitchen when I was a freshman and sophomore in High School. So warm and cozy. The rain outside, makes it seem even more so.

2 comments:

Dot said...

Your pancakes look absolutely scrumptios!

The Northwest does have beautiful and mysterious weather, doesn't it? Just a matter of attitude and choosing to find the beauty.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...Sour Cream Apple Pancakes? Do we get the recipe? They sound delicious!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails