Monday, January 18, 2010

Sour Cream Apple Pancakes

Making up new pancake variations reminds me of my Dad. Growing up, Mom was our family cook, but it was a bit of a party when Dad would come in the kitchen, and invent a new pancake. He would add a bit of mashed potato, or a bit of grape nuts or whatever. These days, breakfast visitors are treated to his collaborating with Aunt Jemima in the kitchen. I remember his rule "Don't flip a pancake more than once. Wait for the bubbles....." As a child, I was fascinated by the rings he would make on the pancakes as they cooked, like growth rings on a tree.

These pancakes are a spin-off I made of Ina's Banana Sour Cream Pancakes, which we all really love too.

SOUR CREAM APPLE PANCAKES
1 1/2 cups flour (can use some, or all whole wheat pastry flour if desired)
3 TBS. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
1/2 c. sour cream (I've used yogurt, when we were trying to be "good")
3/4 c. + 1 TBS. milk
2 extra large eggs
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 1/2 c. apples, chopped, and cooked in microwave with a bit of water,til tender. (I used a pint of my homemade apple pie filling. If doing that, drain off the liquid part and cut/smash up the fruit, some.)
(Since my pie filling was seasoned, I added the amount of spices called for here. With plain apples, you might wish to add more)
In a medium bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients.
Stir the wet and dry ingredients together, just until combined.
Use about 1/4 c. or so of batter for each pancake.
Cook on lightly oiled griddle, 2 - 3 minutes, until bubbles appear on top, and bottom is browned.
Flip and cook another minute or so, til browned.

I hope this recipe works for you! I do a lot of "winging it" when I cook. Some things turn out better than others. If it's a total flop, the worst thing is, it would end up fed to the chickens. So far, we are MUCH fatter than they are, so must be doing OK.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails