Wednesday, July 8, 2009

California Dreamin'

WARNING: This post is going to sound like it should be in "The Good Old Days" magazine!

The first fireworks I ever saw, left a lasting impression on me. We were in California visiting my great aunt and uncle. They owned and ran a restaurant and small store. In the early afternoon, my Aunt and I went to her brother's meat market, and got the most delicious deli-sliced smoked turkey and chicken. That night we loaded our picnic basket and quilts into the car and went to the lake. It was bustling with people and the sights and sounds were like being in a movie scene of a small town America celebration. I don't remember the rest of our menu,; but the smoked meat had been taken to the restaurant and made into the best sandwiches I've ever tasted. The fireworks over the lake were spectacular! They were so large and colorful, and the kind that burst into fountains, not like the ball shaped ones I see today.

At home, we only had rocks and sagebrush as landscape, no fruit trees or gardens. In California, our Aunt and Uncle had an adobe styled ranch house. In the backyard were several apricot trees. With the 100+ degree days the fruit was so hot and juicy; it melted in our mouths, and down our arms. While we were playing out there, we were allowed to eat as many apricots as we wanted. In the house, the kitchen smelled yummy as my Aunt and Mama canned preserves. Now, every summer I pick up a few apricots at the produce market; but haven't had any since that could even compare!


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails