Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Life is just a bowl of cherries


Last year, I canned cherry pie filling and made sour cherry jam, but my favorite thing of all was the "cherry raisins". I rationed them out like nylon during WWII. They were so tasty! They were great for a tiny snack, in oatmeal, in cookies, in muffins......sort of a bubba shrimp kinda thing. This year, that's all I'm doing with the sour pie cherries.
The dehydrator was going all day yesterday and is back up and running again today.
If you want to make some too; here's how:
Wash and pit the cherries. I "milk" them off of the tree, leaving the pits there, saving myself a step. If someone out in blogland knows this to be harmful to the tree or something....ignorance is bliss, don't tell me, I don't want to know!
Heat 1/2 cup of sugar to every 2 cups of cherries in a pot on the stove, until the liquid they form comes to a boil and boils 1 minute.
Remove the cherries with a slotted spoon or wire straining ladle, and place on drying racks.
(I use those silicone mesh sheets on my racks)
Dry @ 145F until they are sort of rubbery to the touch.
Store in the freezer.
Another household hint for the day: If you want a surefire way to assure that someone will spill a whole glass of lemonade and then later an entire glass of rootbeer on your floor: You must first spend 2 hours on your hands and knees cleaning it til it shines. Just thought ya might want to know.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails