Sunday, October 18, 2009

Bear with me...a Sunday Sermon

One day as I neared home, I noticed something that seemed odd. There was a flock of Canadian geese, circling and circling. When I got out of my car, They were surprisingly loud, in spite of the fact they were quite a distance away. I watched them for a long time. Finally, I went inside and did a few chores. Later, when I came back outside, they were still doing the same thing. Praise the Lord, as He allowed me to see the end of the story and reason behind this strange phenomena; They had a member of their flock who was too tired or wounded to make the journey with them. They circled around, encouraging and exhorting, until finally I watched as their friend, rested and feeling surrounded by their loving support, was able to take off and fly with them. He didn't start out soaring. They had to take their time with him, and they kept encouraging him along the way. They didn't just go their merry way without him, oblivious to his needs. They didn't give up on him, they persisted in "being there for him".

They might be the ones in the air flying. But sometimes WE are the ones with our heads in the clouds. (Or dishes, laundry, work, soccer games, tv......just busy being busy with our own busy-ness)

My Mom and Sister both had surgery recently and have been touched and "humbled" by the kindness and concern of friends and neighbors. When we take a little time to show we care, it matters. We do have the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of others.

Lord, Please open our eyes to the needs of those around us, and help us to be responsive and to "be there" for them.

Galatians 6:2
"Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog, via your comment on my blog, and am glad I did. What an uplifting little story about the geese. Amazing how God uses all of His creation to teach us and draw us closer to Him. Thanks for sharing that.

BYW, Canadian birds are kind like that. It's a Canuck thing. Hee hee.

****** "M" said...

Elaine,
I believe it! Canucks are near and dear to my heart!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails