Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Doing the Can Can

Today, the canners and I kept busy.

I really like this soup, and other goodies by this company.
But we had such an over abundance of carrots, I decided to make my own. I used the recipe for Savory Carrot Fennel Soup from the Ball Blue Book of preserving, and changed it up a bit, adding roasted garlic and ginger instead of fennel.
.
Also had more cherries to sort through and can.


With still more zucchini, decided to make relish.

Here's the recipe I always use.

OVERNIGHT ZUCCHINI RELISH

12 c. ground zucchini
4 c. chopped onion
5 Tbs. salt
2 +1/2 c. vinegar
6 c. sugar
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. tumeric
1 tsp. dry mustard (optional)
1/2 tsp. celery seed
1/4 tsp. pepper
3 bell peppers ground (some red is nice)
You can chop the zucchini and onion in a food processor, but I like the food grinder I grew up with. It needs to be coarse, or you'll end up with mush.


Mix the first 3 ingredients together , and let stand overnight.

I like to go ahead and chop the peppers too, so as not to have to drag things out and clean them twice. I just stick them in the fridge to add the next day.

Rince with cold water; drain.

Place in kettle.
Add remaining ingredients;
vinegar, sugar, spices and peppers.

Bring to a boil; reduce heat.
Simmer for 30 minutes.
Place in hot, sterilized jars;

Wipe the rim with a clean damp cloth

Process in boiling water bath for 15 minutes.


Adding the dry mustard makes a more amber colored product.
I've made it both with and without.
It turned out more reddish this time, due to using more red bell peppers, no green, and not draining them after sitting in the fridge overnight.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I like the amber color- very pretty! Busy lady-- you deserve a night out on the town. Or at least dinner and a movie, dontcha think??! Counting the hours...
xoxo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails